Compatibilty of 'tar' archived tapes.

Sir Dave of Wentworth draper at bu-tyng.bu.edu
Fri Jan 13 11:29:15 AEST 1989

I will be leaving my current job in about 4 months due to graduation
from school. I currently have about 20 meg of goodies in my account.
A lot of it is source and other important information I have saved
away. I would like to dump all of this to a tape and take it with me
when I leave. My questions are:

Current system: Encore Multimax running BSD 4.2

	1) If I dump the stuff to tape using 'tar' will I be
	   able to read it with other machines running Unix
	   or a close derivative of it?

	2) I have a copy of source code for 'tar' that is
	   supposedly for a VAX running VMS. Since it almost
	   looks like my next stop with be in a VMS shop
	   will I be able to read the tape in there?
	   (I know I will have to get tar up and running on
	    the VAX first)

	3) Since we have a high density/low density tape
	   drive, which is the better format to use?

Any comments suggestions on formats to store this information so
I will be able to get at it and use it later will be appreciated.

Dave Draper
UUCP: decvax!elrond!bu-tyng!draper
Internet: draper at bu-tyng.bu.edu
Boston University Corporate Education Center
72 Tyng Road
Tyngsboro   MA  01879
649-9731 x14