Unix source

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Jan 13 02:29:00 AEST 1989

In article <10621 at gryphon.COM> kcallis at pnet02.cts.com (Kim C. Callis) writes:
>  I am new to the Unix world, but if I remember correctly, there used to float
>somewhere out there in the public domain, the entire Unix source from our
>friends up at Berkley. Does anyone know where I can find this source code?

UNIX source code is NOT in the public domain!  It belongs to AT&T.
UNIX source code after hacking on by Berkeley or others is still
the property of AT&T, although the added hacks (only) can be
considered to belong to whoever did them.

There have been some attempts to produce systems resembling UNIX
without using AT&T source code in the process.  The most famous
of these is the GNU project (Free Software Foundation), which
keeps its source code on some machine at MIT (prep.mit.edu, I
think).