tar disaster resolved

Bruce A. Kern bak at csd-v.UUCP
Mon Jan 30 02:19:14 AEST 1989

This is to thank all those who gave me the help I
needed to recover a tar archive which I trashed by
mistyping:
		$ tar -xc ...
instead of
		$ tar -xt

Along with various mild flames about write protection, etc. people
pointed me to tar_aids in vol 7 of comp.unix.sources and other tools.

The method I finally used invloved using dd and od to construct a tar
file with the damaged part removed.  If anyone is truely interested
send e-mail and I'll return the step-by-step procedure.  BTW as most
pointed out, the first file was gone.  Actually just the first block,
but since I had backed up a compressed source, I gave up the first file
entirely.

Once again thanks to all.
--
Bruce A. Kern                                  1-203-270-0399
Computer Systems Design                        Voice: 730 - 1700 Mon. thru Fri.