IBM 3270

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Sat Jan 21 06:02:52 AEST 1989

>>We recently received a request from a customer for a termcap entry which
>>supports the IBM 3270 terminal.

>However, there is a utility tn3270 under 4.3bsd which might be of use.

"tn3270" doesn't let IBM 3270s access UNIX, which is, I presume, what
the person who asked the question had in mind; it lets UNIX systems
access hosts that expect IBM 3270s to telnet into them - it's basically
a TELNET program and a 3270 emulator wrapped into one.  To quote from
the 4.3-tahoe man page (which, if you take it literally, implies that if
you actually *have* a Tahoe - CCI Power 6/32 and OEMmed versions and
derivatives thereof - it won't work, which is, I presume, not true):

	"Tn3270" permits a full-screen, full-duplex connection
	from a VAX UNIX machine to an IBM machine running VM/CMS
	giving the appearance of being logged in directly to the
	remote machine on an IBM 3270 terminal.