Dump in multi-user mode?

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.COM
Tue Jan 24 14:28:33 AEST 1989

In article <362 at ntvax.UUCP> chris at ntvax.UUCP (Chris Britton) writes:
> What are the consequences of running "dump" in multi-user mode?

I missed the start of this thread, but I've got the same question
related to file-based backups (i.e., with tar or cpio).  A
customer with a 3B15 has been doing live backups for three years
with no problems (we rarely never have to go back to tape), and
we would like to hear from others with experience on this.

Yes, he knows that the "right" way to do it is on in-active
filesystems, but he has accepted *some* lessened data integrity
as the cost for much simpler backups.  It would be expensive for
him to shut down the whole shop every day...

     Steve

Stephen J. Friedl        3B2-kind-of-guy            friedl at vsi.com
V-Systems, Inc.       I speak for you only      attmail!vsi!friedl
Santa Ana, CA  USA       +1 714 545 6442    {backbones}!vsi!friedl
Nancy Reagan on these *stupid* .signatures: "Enough already, OK?"