Dump in multi-user mode?

Frank Rahmani fmr at cwi.nl
Thu Jan 26 02:36:44 AEST 1989

> In article <362 at ntvax.UUCP> chris at ntvax.UUCP (Chris Britton) writes:
>> What are the consequences of running "dump" in multi-user mode?
>
> I'd say the consequences are very unpredictable unless you unmount the
> way. Do you want to have to rely on this type of a backup? I can tell you that
> the tape will most likely NOT verify.
Sir,
you don't tell what system you are working on .Under BSD4.[23] and SunOS3.5
we do dumps for years in multiuser mode with typically up to 50  users on
a machine without any problem whatsoever.Also everything is restorable
without one problem ever as long as you keep in mind that only that
version of a file is saved that was on disk while dump was accessing it.
We just can't ask some hundred people to log out for hours. Some of our
fileservers have gigabytes of diskspace and a level 0 dump can take up to
seven hours.
Frank Rahmani
UNIX9(tm) System Operator
Center for Mathematics and Computer Science
Amsterdam ,The Netherlands
fmr at cwi.nl
--
It is better never to have been born. But who among us has such luck?
Maintainer's Motto: