Disk Problems on a 11/750 running 4.3 BSD

Thomas J Hacker hackertj at egrunix.UUCP
Wed Jul 19 09:50:38 AEST 1989

Hello there!! I have 4.3 BSD running on a VAX 11/750 with a single
ra81 disk drive, and I've been having some problems that I haven't
been able to decode, and I'd like some advice/help:

It all started after a power glitch (that seems to have made it through
a UPS!) that toggled a fault light on the drive, but after power up, the
light went out....spurious, I thought.  Then I got this:

Jun 27 11:27:57 unix vmunix: uda0: soft error, SDI error, unit 0,
event 053, hdr 0x0
Jun 27 11:27:57 unix vmunix: 	0x13	0x4	0x0	0x0	0x0
0x81	0x0	0x0	0x0	0x1	0x0	0x0

...I thought I'd wait and see if it repeated:

Jul  7 13:39:20 unix vmunix: uda0: soft error, SDI error, unit 0,
event 053, hdr 0x0

Jul  7 13:39:20 unix vmunix: 	0x13	0x4	0x0	0x0	0x0
0xa	0x0	0xf5	0x0	0x3	0x0	0x0

Now, I know that the SDI error means generally "something's wrong with
the drive"
So, I thought I would wait a day or two to see if it would repeat,
then this came up:

Jul 11 18:07:30 unix vmunix: mcr0: soft ecc addr 1a72 syn 73

I have this feeling that it's being caused by a bad spot on the disk.
But, I can't seem to find any reference ANYWHERE to what device an
mcr0: is!!

I'm probably going to have DEC come out and reformat the drive, but before
I go though all that, does anyone know any ways to get around this?
(like how to convert the ecc addr's to things bad144 can comprehend?)

Please respond by EMAIL, and I'll post responses.

-Thanks!!
Thomas Hacker
Systems Programmer
Oakland University
hacker at unix.secs.oakland.edu
hackertj at vms.secs.oakland.edu

--
Thomas Hacker               ...Weave a circle round him thrice,
Systems Programmer             And close your eyes with holy dread,