Disk Problems on a 11/750 running 4.3 BSD

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Wed Jul 19 15:49:29 AEST 1989

In article <115 at egrunix.UUCP> hackertj at egrunix.UUCP (Thomas J Hacker) writes:
>... I have 4.3 BSD running on a VAX 11/750 with a single
>ra81 disk drive ....

>... uda0: soft error, SDI error, unit 0, event 053, hdr 0x0
and
>... mcr0: soft ecc addr 1a72 syn 73

These are probably unrelated.  (I say `probably' because a memory error
can cause many other spurious errors.)

The `uda0, unit 0' error (`053') is an `sdi command timeout drive error'.
It means the drive did not do something (an SDI command) within its
normal alloted time.  The controller and/or drive recovered from the
error.

The 4.3BSD-tahoe driver decodes the event numbers, and is generally
much improved over the 4.3BSD driver.

>But, I can't seem to find any reference ANYWHERE to what device an
>mcr0: is!!

`mcr' is a `memory controller'.  `addr 1a72 syn 73' means that the
error register contained 001A7273.  In conjunction with a table for
the memory boards, this will tell which chip on which board is going
bad.

>Please respond by EMAIL, and I'll post responses.

Too late :-)