strange errors in LOGFILE

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Mon Jul 17 13:42:04 AEST 1989

In article <427 at holston.UUCP> barton at holston.UUCP (barton) writes:
>When connecting with a local system for news/mail exchange, strange errors
>appear in the logfile on our system, they include BAD READ (expected '),
>CAUGHT (SIGNAL 1), and less frequently LOST LINE.

BAD READ can occur any time after protocol startup; CAUGHT (SIGNAL 1) usually
happens only when someone dials in to you; LOST LINE usually happens when you
dial in to someone else. The cause of the latter two is the same: the modems
are hanging up in the middle of the connection. This could be attributed to
really bad phone lines, an intermittent (broken) RS-232 cable between your
modem and the serial port on your machine, or a weak/dying modem.

The BAD READ is probably also modem trouble, on the face of the evidence.

<csg>