a word-processor for UNIX

Tim McClarren mcclaren at herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 25 06:13:48 AEST 1989

In article <8467 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> lacey at tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (John Lacey) writes:

>Perhaps a rough analogy with cameras might be drawn.  More point-and-shoot
>cameras will be designed and sold than high end Nikon, Canon, Haselblad
>(sp?) machines and more people will process their film at K-Mart than at
>custom labs.  Nevertheless, virtually all who work professionally will
>stick with the generally harder to use high end equipment.

But then why is it that more and more I pick up a book, flip through a couple
of pages, and lo & behold, there it is right alongside the copyright and
Lib. of Congress info -- "This book written and typeset with a Macintosh II
and Microsoft Word" or some such?  I dunno...maybe I read too much popular
lit./media, but I've not seen a whole lot of "This book written under vi, and
typeset with LaTeX/*roff on Bob & Jim's UNIX(c) box."