a word-processor for UNIX

David Pipes pipes at nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Jul 25 06:53:56 AEST 1989

In article <1552 at garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> mcclaren at herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu.UUCP (Tim McClarren) writes:

>[stuff elided]  I dunno...maybe I read too much popular
>lit./media, but I've not seen a whole lot of "This book written under vi, and
>typeset with LaTeX/*roff on Bob & Jim's UNIX(c) box."

Kernighan, Brian W. and Ritchie, Dennis M.; The C Programming Language,
     2nd edition; Prentice Hall, 1988.
     Pg. IV
     "This book was typeset (pic|tbl|eqn|troff -ms) in Times Roman and
     Courier by the authors, using an Autologic APS-5 phototypesetter
     and a DEC VAX 8550 running the 9th Edition of the UNIX(c)
     operating system."

They didn't say whose machine it was, though.
In any case, no one would do a book meant to be widely read on something
as primitive as troff, would they? :-)

| EMail: pipes at nssdca.gsfc.nasa.gov                David Pipes |
| Vox: (301) 286-2248                                 X X X    |
| Message contains only my opinions.                 =======   |
| "French is sort of the lingua franca of Europe..." =======   |