a word-processor for UNIX

John W. Eaton chpf127 at ut-emx.UUCP
Tue Jul 25 08:22:54 AEST 1989

In article <8467 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> lacey at tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
(John Lacey) writes:

>> [...] Nevertheless, virtually all who work professionally will
>> stick with the generally harder to use high end equipment

[presumably TeX|*roff, though I might not go so far as to say harder
to use...]

In article <1552 at garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> mcclaren at herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu.UUCP
(Tim McClarren) asks:

> But then why is it that more and more I pick up a book, flip through
> a couple of pages, and lo & behold, there it is right alongside the
> copyright and Lib. of Congress info -- "This book written and
> typeset with a Macintosh II and Microsoft Word" or some such?  I
> dunno...maybe I read too much popular lit./media, but I've not seen
> a whole lot of "This book written under vi, and typeset with
> LaTeX/*roff on Bob & Jim's UNIX(c) box."

Well, because the people who write the books you've been reading
aren't professionals :-) or you're just not looking at the right
books :-).

Most of the Unix books published by Prentice-Hall have been typsest
using troff, and the AWK book and Stroustrup's C++ book were too.
Wolfram's Mathematica was typeset in TeX, as were Golub and Van Loan's
Matrix Computations, Press et al.'s Numerical Recipes, Gill et al.'s
Practical Optimization, etc. etc. etc.

Granted, not all of the books produced using TeX/LaTeX are shining
examples of superior typesetting skill (but then again neither are all
then books done with MSWord).

Perhaps you're reading too many McBooks :-) about the McMacintosh :-).

--
John Eaton
chpf127 at emx.utexas.edu
Department of Chemical Engineering