a word-processor for UNIX

Earl H. Kinmonth ked at garnet.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 25 12:36:52 AEST 1989

In article <1552 at garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> mcclaren at herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu.UUCP (Tim McClarren) writes:
>In article <8467 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> lacey at tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (John Lacey) writes:

>But then why is it that more and more I pick up a book, flip through a couple
>of pages, and lo & behold, there it is right alongside the copyright and
>Lib. of Congress info -- "This book written and typeset with a Macintosh II
>and Microsoft Word" or some such?  I dunno...maybe I read too much popular
>lit./media, but I've not seen a whole lot of "This book written under vi, and
>typeset with LaTeX/*roff on Bob & Jim's UNIX(c) box."

The Davis Medieval Text and Studies Program has done several dozen
books with vi and troff. There are a number of job shops that use troff
(or more recent incarnations). I suspect you see more references to the
programs you mention because of what you read (computer, technical
books). Standards for layout and design tend to be higher in humanities
publishing (IMHO), and one simply cannot achieve the expected
appearance with the level of program you mention.