Is there any wordprocessor in unix

Lowell G. Wilson lwilson at umabco.UUCP
Tue Jul 11 22:59:32 AEST 1989

In article <8161 at bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, dhesi at bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> Major nit:  It is theoretically *impossible* for a general terminal-
> independent version of WordPerfect to exist under UNIX.  After
> extensive research I have determined that WordPerfect *cannot exist*
> unless you have all or most of F1..F10, Ctrl-F1..Ctrl-F10,
> Alt-F1..Alt-F10, and Shift-F1..Shift-F10 keys available...
> --
> Rahul Dhesi <dhesi at bsu-cs.bsu.edu>
> UUCP:    ...!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

We had a chance to evaluate WordPerfect for Unix and there were some
problems in this regard.  At that time (last winter) the folks at WP
were still working out some terminal definition problems and so we who
participated in the evaluation had to use Kermit with a special .ini
file which reconfigured all of the function keys so that they would send
out the sort of codes you mention above.  For evaluation purposes we had
no problem with that since all of the testers were users of Kermit
anyway.  But there are a lot of people on our campus who use Procomm,
Reflections (we're a multi-system environment and people tend to stick
with the terminal emualation software they use for the system they spend
the most time on), and so on and so forth.  In fact, that was the reason
we decided to pass on the Unix version of WP.  Does anyone know if the
final release has addressed these problems?  There are a LOT of
terminals out there, not to mention emulation packages...
--
Lowell Wilson : Sinecure III        University of Maryland at Baltimore
                                    Information Resources Mgt Division
                                    Internet: umabco!lwilson at cvl.umd.edu