Is there any wordprocessor in unix

Dick Gill rg at psgdc
Thu Jul 13 08:40:08 AEST 1989

In article <330 at umabco.UUCP> lwilson at umabco.UUCP (Lowell G. Wilson) writes:
>We had a chance to evaluate WordPerfect for Unix and there were some
>problems in this regard....
> [text deleted]
>...  Does anyone know if the
>final release has addressed these problems?  There are a LOT of
>terminals out there, not to mention emulation packages...
>--
>Lowell Wilson : Sinecure III        University of Maryland at Baltimore
>                                    Information Resources Mgt Division
>                                    UUCP: ...cvl!umabco!lwilson
>                                    Internet: umabco!lwilson at cvl.umd.edu

We are dealers for the Unix version of Word Perfect; we have
installations on NCR Towers, and have just begun to offer the
product on the IBM-RT.

The product now seems to work well IF it is set-up correctly
with `full featured' terminals.  If, for example, you have a
Wyse-60 or Wyse-150, you can expect the same extensive function
key capabilities as in the PC version (function keys F14, F15
and F16 are used instead of Alt, Ctrl, etc.) even though the
specific keystrokes to do a task are not the same as on the PC.
Also, on these terminals underlined and bold text will display
correctly.  Although we don't use them, I understand that VT-100
and VT-220 terminals and (faithful) emulators also work
correctly.  Of course, noone should expect that the Unix
implementation will deliver the same responsiveness, color and
graphics capabilities as Word Perfect on a PC; maybe in the
future, but certainly not now!

Dick