a word-processor for UNIX

Charlie Geyer charlie at mica.stat.washington.edu
Sat Jul 22 06:46:26 AEST 1989

In article <8467 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> lacey at tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
(John Lacey) writes:

> Who wins?  In terms of popularity in the marketplace, the ease of
> use wins big.  Even within language-based systems, note the
> popularity LaTeX enjoys over TeX.

But this isn't quite the same as WYSIWYG vs. language-based.  LaTeX is
TeX.  A TeX expert can get LaTeX to do almost anything TeX will with
only small extra style files.  Since I learned to hack style files,
I've never wanted to use plain TeX.

The main reason is that LaTeX does things right that I or most people
without experience in book design would do wrong.  LaTeX (or AMS TeX
or APS TeX) is a better starting place than plain TeX.