a word-processor for UNIX

woods at eci386.UUCP woods at eci386.UUCP
Sat Jul 22 06:37:19 AEST 1989

Hmm, I wonder if this should be followed up in comp.text now?

In article <8467 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> lacey at tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (John Lacey) writes:
> Concerning the use of formatting languages vs. publishing systems:

Hold on a moment.  Are you a programmer?  I am.  I find little
more in the form of language in troff macros, than I do in the
use of key strokes or mouse moves of your average "WP".  Use of a
macro package like MM reduces even further the use of language
constructs while formatting a document.

Don't get me wrong.  I'll still call troff and TeX formatting
languages too, but I find their grammar so utterly simple, I
cannot imagine why anyone cannot learn them.

> [....]  Even within language-based systems, note
> the popularity LaTeX enjoys over TeX.

That is, from what I understand, the same as comparing the MM
macro package to raw troff.  Of course MM is more popular.  It is,
IMHO, several orders of magnitude easier to ue.
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{eci386,gate,robohack,ontmoh,tmsoft,gpu.utcs.UToronto.CA,utorgpu.BITNET}
+1-416-443-1734 [h]  +1-416-595-5425 [w]		Toronto, Ontario CANADA