M4 implementations & usage.

Ozan Yigit oz at yunexus.UUCP
Sun Jul 2 12:42:31 AEST 1989

In article <20354 at dcatla.UUCP> dcatla!itwaf at gatech.edu (Bill Fulton [Sys Admin]) writes:
>Does anybody know of a public domain version of the "M4", the Unix macro
>processor? Does anybody use this?

I wrote & posted a completely PD m4 sometime ago. If you cannot get it from
a nearby archieve site, just ask. It is small enough to be mailed.

As for usage of: I really do not know. M4 can do a lot, but it can get
very hairy: lisp parens are nothing compared to m4 quotes. Having written
PD m4, I really think a better macro processor is needed (cpp is NOT it.),
as m4 macro technology is "prehistoric" (can you say TRAC ? :-|) to put it
mildly. [Is there anything better out there ??]

>I'm doing some work in other languages besides "c", and I'm spoiled by the c
>pre-processor.

There is a PD cpp if you are after C-style macros. Again, check your
neigborhood archieve.

oz

They are like the Zen students who,	   Usenet:    oz at nexus.yorku.ca
when the master points at the moon,        ......!uunet!utai!yunexus!oz
continue to stare at his finger....        Bitnet: oz@[yulibra|yuyetti]
			P. da Silva        Phonet: +1 416 736-5257x3976