System V (3B2), CAP, Streams

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.COM
Sun Jul 16 05:46:57 AEST 1989

In article <1410 at hcr.UUCP>, larry at hcr.UUCP (Larry Philps) writes:

> Putmsg, getmsg and sigset are system calls under SYSV R3.  So, they will be
> resolved by the system call stubs in libc.a.

This reveals an unfortunate aspect of the 3B world.  Compilers
are packaged separately from operating systems, and most of the
libraries (i.e., libc.a) live with the compiler.  Upgrading to
a more recent operating system (say, to SVR3.1) means that the
operating system supports the new calls, but you can't use them
unless your compiler has the hooks in libc.a (or unless you feel
like writing some assembly language wrapper functions).

You can check your compiler version with:

	cc -V

I believe that Issues 2 and 3, plus C-FP+ are all packaged with
Sys V Rel 2 libraries, and that CPLU4.1 and above have the SVR3
libraries.

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl / V-Systems, Inc. / Santa Ana, CA / +1 714 545 6442
3B2-kind-of-guy   / friedl at vsi.com  / {attmail, uunet, etc}!vsi!friedl