Yellow Pages Question

Root Boy Jim rbj at dsys.ncsl.nist.gov
Tue Jul 25 06:53:40 AEST 1989

? From: rc at wyse.wyse.com

? I have an application which needs to know whether Yellow Pages is up
? and running. I have a program which makes a RPC call to determine if
? it can talk to the YPBIND on the server. The only snag though is that
? it takes about 15 seconds to time out before reporting that YP is
? not configured. Of course if YP is configured, the answer is reported
? immediately.

? Can someone please suggest an alternate solution ? The bottom line is that
? I don't want the user to wait that long to get an answer.

Time the RPC call with an alarm. If the RPC call is not interruptable,
you may have to fork a child process.

? Thanks in advance

? -rc
? Ran-Chi Huang			BELL:       (408) 473-2596
? Wyse Technology M/S 302		DOMAIN:     rc at wyse.com OR postmaster at wyse.com
? 3471, N. First Street		UUCP:       ...!{uunet,decwrl}!wyse!rc
? San Jose, CA 95134		ALTERNATE:  rc at caf.mit.edu

	Root Boy Jim
	Have GNU, Will Travel.