Yellow Pages Question

rc at wyse.wyse.com rc at wyse.wyse.com
Thu Jul 13 16:47:44 AEST 1989

I have an application which needs to know whether Yellow Pages is up
and running. I have a program which makes a RPC call to determine if
it can talk to the YPBIND on the server. The only snag though is that
it takes about 15 seconds to time out before reporting that YP is
not configured. Of course if YP is configured, the answer is reported
immediately.

Can someone please suggest an alternate solution ? The bottom line is that
I don't want the user to wait that long to get an answer.

Rather than cluttering up the net, please let me know if you want a copy
of the program that determines this.

Thanks in advance

-rc
Ran-Chi Huang			BELL:       (408) 473-2596
Wyse Technology M/S 302		DOMAIN:     rc at wyse.com OR postmaster at wyse.com
3471, N. First Street		UUCP:       ...!{uunet,decwrl}!wyse!rc
San Jose, CA 95134		ALTERNATE:  rc at caf.mit.edu