a word-processor for UNIX

Gregory Gulik gaggy at jolnet.ORPK.IL.US
Wed Jul 26 01:30:16 AEST 1989

In article <1552 at garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> mcclaren at herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu.UUCP (Tim McClarren) writes:

>But then why is it that more and more I pick up a book, flip through a couple
>of pages, and lo & behold, there it is right alongside the copyright and
>Lib. of Congress info -- "This book written and typeset with a Macintosh II
>and Microsoft Word" or some such?  I dunno...maybe I read too much popular
>lit./media, but I've not seen a whole lot of "This book written under vi, and
>typeset with LaTeX/*roff on Bob & Jim's UNIX(c) box."

What kind of books do you read??  The only books I've ever seen that were
written and typeset on Mac (or similar) hardware were Mac documentation
and Mac magazines.

I own several books that were written in *roff, mostly UNIX and C books,
but I also have several books, mostly math, written using a variation
on TeX.

Of course, they never do mention that vi was used to edit the text.
Are they ashamed or something?  How about emacs?

-greg

--
Gregory Gulik	Phone:	(312) 825-2435
	E-Mail: ...!jolnet!gaggy || ...!chinet!gag