a word-processor for UNIX

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jul 27 02:57:32 AEST 1989

> Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.unix.questions: 25-Jul-89 Re: a word-processor
> for UNIX Tim McClarren at herodotus. (1954)

> Incidentally, what sort of books are these that were typeset with
> TeX/*roff?

Well, any book can be typeset with these tools. I remember seing next to
each other waiting to be send off to the printer, the minutes of yet
another meeting of the UN (about ~4000 pages) and the autobiography
(~200 pages) of the main character from `Deap Throat', somebody Lovelace
or what ever.

Both were typeset using troff. (Both texts were just as interesting).

What people seem to forget in this discussion is that still the large
majority of book published nowadays are actually still typeset by
professional typesetters. They will use whatever tools are available for
them. Heck, I've seen books, done in TeX, delivered to the typesetter on
tape and hard copy, completely keyboarded from the latter one, because
it was more cost effective to do that then to go through the exercise of
disecting the tape and the authors macros, create macros which would
decent looking fonts and implement a decent design etc. Of course the
author was told that they used his tape and actually went trough the
exercise.

	jaap

PS. Although interesting, maybe we should move this discussion out of
unix.questions into comp.text, so everybody else won't be interrupted
discussing rm ./-rf