ksh and sh

William A. Turnbow williamt at athena1.Sun.COM
Sat Jul 22 08:52:53 AEST 1989

In article <8282 at boring.cwi.nl> aeb at cwi.nl (Andries Brouwer) writes:
>These tracked aliases were not invented because they are useful,
>but because they save a few milliseconds on each command that I
>give.
-----------

	Not that I disagree with making it an option, but your above
statement is inaccurate in a networked environment or if you have a
long path.  I have anywhere from 15 to 25 path components, all of which
are remote mounts.  Due to distance, heavy loading or just plain lost
requests, searching all these directories can some times take several
seconds (usually under 1-2 though).  This is only an annoyance at the
interactive level.

	However, when running shell scripts, if your executable that you are
using alot is in one of the later directories, you are talking about
a POTENTIALLY much greater period of time.

-wat-