ksh and sh

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at ncoast.ORG
Sun Jul 23 01:00:06 AEST 1989

As quoted from <11900 at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> by ekrell at hector.UUCP (Eduardo Krell):
+---------------
| In article <8272 at boring.cwi.nl> aeb at cwi.nl (Andries Brouwer) writes:
| >I have been bitten several times, especially when installing new
| >versions of system software, by the fact that ksh does not
| >search the PATH for each command, but remembers where the command
| >was. (I.e., some commands, sometimes all commands,
| >are tracked aliases. There is an option to make all commands
| >tracked aliases, but none to switch off this `feature'.)
|
| I believe all you have to do is change the value of $PATH to
| force ksh into unbinding all the tracked aliases. I use
+---------------

Sure there's a way to get ksh to stop tracking:  "set +o trackall".
You must still use "PATH=$PATH" or "hash -r" to zap the current tracked
aliases, but after the "set" you won't have to worry about it any more.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery at NCoast.ORG
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery at hal.cwru.edu
NCoast Public Access UN*X - (216) 781-6201, 300/1200/2400 baud, login: makeuser
 (Send inquiries to rhg at NCoast.ORG, *not* to me!  I'm just the resident guru.)
* "ncoast" regenerates again!  The 5th "ncoast", coming August 1 (stay tuned) *