How to speed up uucp with Telebits(only getting 800 chars/sec )

Bob Sutterfield bob at tinman.cis.ohio-state.edu
Sat Jul 8 00:53:44 AEST 1989

In article <1160 at intercon.UUCP> amanda at intercon.uu.net (Amanda Walker) writes:
   In article <200038 at hrc.UUCP>, dan at hrc.UUCP (Dan Troxel) writes:
      I feed several sites here in Arizona. Most of my sites get at
      least 1100 chars/second. But there are 2 that are getting
      800-900 chars/second.

   My guess is that the two sites in question are talking to their
   Telebits at 9600 baud instead of 19200 baud, thus causing a
   bottleneck on their end.  Either that or they're using T1000s,
   which only go up to 9600.

Or those systems could be small and slow without enough horsepower or
I/O bandwidth to shove that many characters per second through their
serial ports, no matter the baud rate setting.  Some little boxes
wheeze heavily after climbing only two flights of stairs at 9600.

Are any of those slow neighbors running Xenix on an AT?  Or perhaps a
VAX 750 with DZ-11 terminal interfaces?  Those character interrupts
will suck a Unibus VAX dry...