System V (3B2), CAP, Streams

Richard Silverman RSILVERMAN at eagle.wesleyan.edu
Thu Jul 13 05:16:12 AEST 1989

Hello, all...

	I am trying to get CAP running on an AT&T 3B2 running System V R3.1.
With some minor modifications, all the libraries compiled just fine.  When
building the sample programs, however, I have a problem.  lwpr.c compiles
with no problem, but when I attempt to link it, the Streams system calls
getmsg, putmsg and sigset are not found.  As far as I understand it: CAP
depends on the BSD socket-style network interface.  This is provided by the
WIN/3B networking library libnet.a; these calls resolve properly.  This library,
in turn, relies on the Streams transport interface defined in libnsl_s.a
(t_bind, t_open, etc.).  These calls resolve, also -- except putmsg and getmsg,
even though a dump of the nsl library shows the symbols are there!

	Confused, I stepped back to try a test.  According to the Streams
programmer's guide, all I need to do to use the transport interface is to
link to libnsl_s.a.  However, if I take this code:

main ()
{
	getmsg();
}

and compile it with "cc test.c -lnsl_s", I get the same problem: getmsg is
not found.  Now I'm really confused.  I have restored libnsl_s.a from the
original release 3.1 upgrade disks; no help.  Can anyone out there shed some
light?

                                                Richard Silverman

arpa:	rsilverman at eagle.wesleyan.edu           Computing Center
bitnet:	rsilverman at wesleyan                     Wesleyan University
CIS:	[72727,453]                             Middletown, CT 06457