a word-processor for UNIX

Nick Cuccia cuccia at yak.sybase.com
Thu Jul 27 10:38:47 AEST 1989

In article <393 at dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> pipes at nssdcs.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:
>In article <1552 at garcon.cso.uiuc.edu> mcclaren at herodotus.cs.uiuc.edu.UUCP (Tim McClarren) writes:
>>[stuff elided]  I dunno...maybe I read too much popular
>>lit./media, but I've not seen a whole lot of "This book written under vi, and
>>typeset with LaTeX/*roff on Bob & Jim's UNIX(c) box."
>
>Kernighan, Brian W. and Ritchie, Dennis M.; The C Programming Language,
>     2nd edition; Prentice Hall, 1988.
>     Pg. IV
>     "This book was typeset (pic|tbl|eqn|troff -ms) in Times Roman and
>     Courier by the authors, using an Autologic APS-5 phototypesetter
>     and a DEC VAX 8550 running the 9th Edition of the UNIX(c)
>     operating system."

Why limit yourself to the second version?  Something similar was in the
first version.  Many of the books out of Bell Labs in the past ten years
have had similar statements--the Dragon books, the Bach book, etc.

Not that I like (or even *care*) what system was used for any given book;
Just stating that this is hardly a new practice--just one that's become
popular...

--Nick
          Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb...--Batman
 Nick Cuccia			 System Admin/Postmaster, Sybase, Incorporated
 cuccia at sybase.com                     6475 Christie Av.  Emeryville, CA 94608
 {sun,lll-tis,pyramid,pacbell}!sybase!cuccia                   +1 415 596-3500