Is there any wordprocessor in unix

Joel Loo loo at mister-curious.sw.mcc.com
Tue Jul 18 03:12:33 AEST 1989

In article <1111 at jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> gaggy at jolnet.UUCP (Gregory Gulik) writes:
>There are two main problems with nroff and WP.
>
>nroff:	Hard to use.  Yeah, I know, a pro can whip out a document in
>	a matter of seconds.

This is partly true. Ask a pro to start from scratch to whip out document
and he will probably take hours. Pros can use *roff or TeX to produce
documents in a short time because they have a collection of templates files
(or old *roff/TeX files) for them to choose and modify from. Perhaps
some kind souls will care to post some useful templates (e.g. letters,
reports, tables etc).

>	would you prefer to dig through your thick UNIX manuals,
>	or traverse a couple menus to find what you want?

Starting from templates files might be much easier than traversing
menus in WYSIWYG word processors.

I use LaTeX for writing reports. I modify old reports to get new ones
all the time (except the first time of course.) Before LaTeX, I was
using MS WORD.  It takes me approx half to one-third the time to
prepare a standard report in LaTeX now. I am totally satisfied.
Everybody should try *roff or *TeX. If you are not satisfied, it is
always easy to switch back.

- Joel