man page organization (-more-)

Howard,Robert L rh26 at prism.gatech.EDU
Tue Jul 18 04:48:31 AEST 1989

I followed a previous thread about the standard organization of the UNIX
man pages but don't recall any discussion about what is now an immediate
problem.

What are the manl and mann directories under /usr/man for?  (I understand
the structure of the man[1-8] directories)  The system under consideration
is a Sun 386i running SunOS 4.0.1.

I had made a guess that it would be for extra man pages (for third party
applications, etc.) and put some man pages there.  The trouble came when
I wanted to create the man pages for the application that would have the
equivalent of app(1) and app(5) man pages.  I tried putting app(1) in
manl (where all the other extra man pages were put) and app(5) in mann.

Well, previous to this escapade this system worked magically but now (using
the manl/mann system) if I do a 'man app' I get the app(5) page.  This even
happens if I do 'man 1 app'

So what are the manl and mann directories for?  I was hoping to keep all
the 'extra' man pages in a place other than the man[1-8] directories to
simplify my backup strategy.

There is nothing in any piece of documentation that I have the relates to
this problem.  Any insight would be helpful!!

Thanks in advance,

--
Robert L. Howard  (GTRI/STL/MSD)             (404) 421-7165
uucp:     ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!rh26
Internet: rh26 at prism.gatech.edu