AIX - How is it? (Summary - long)

Gil Kloepfer Jr. gil at limbic.UUCP
Fri Jul 21 00:31:30 AEST 1989

Well...I was unprepared for the overwhelming response I got to my article
posted a few weeks ago, quoted below.  I figured from the response that
I got, that it would be only fair that I share all the information I
obtained with the rest of the net.

My thanks to all who answered -- I'm now much more enlightened than before.
Because of the number of responses, I've been forced to edit many of
the articles (ie. chop em down) a bit so that they don't make the internet
news system sick.  If anyone has a problem with this, feel free to write
and I will forward anyone's entire response, unless there are objections.

As for those who noted problems -- I had a couple of responses from people
at IBM research, who might be kind enough to pass along these comments
and suggestions to the right development group in the name of making the
product better.

Anyhow...my article essentially asked...

> I am being asked to investigate the possibility of using AIX for a client
> who demands that software/hardware come from "big blue."  Has anyone
> used AIX yet?  If so, how well/poorly does it function?  How does it compare
> to AT&T System V.3?  What machines in the workstation/PC hardware class does
> it support (ie. ATs, 386 (or PS/2), PC/RT)?  Are there any specific
> porting considerations?  Does AIX have reasonable graphics support?

Here is a summary of the responses:

> [...]

|From: uunet!acheron!clarke (Ed Clarke/10240000)
|> I work for IBM (Research).
|
|AIX comes in several flavors.
|
|AIX 2.x runs on the RT and is based on V.2 rather than V.3.  There have
|been a lot of BSDisms added - bind 4.8 and sendmail 5.61 compile and run
|on my 2.2.1 system at work.  There is no bsd job control (yet). NFS is
|available ( older version ).
|
|AIX PS/2 runs on PS2 mod 70 and 80 systems ONLY. Forget about 286 or clone
|386 machines ( unless they're exact clones ).  Easy to write device drivers
|for non standard things ( don't know about console drivers though ).  Does
|include bsd job control.  There's a 'tcf' facility going to be available
|sometime in the fall.   Sort of interfaces AIX PS2 to AIX/370.  I have seen
|it run, but don't know anything much about it.  No NFS yet.
|
|AIX/370 runs on 370 type machines ( 309x, 438x etc. ).  Seems to work ok
|but I don't have much experience with it.  Includes some kind of 'tcf'.
|NFS is supported.
|
|All AIX systems support X-windows for graphics ( and tcp as well ).
|
|Further note: AIX has been given to the OSF and is being used as a base
|for their development.  You might ask about other vendors products.  I
|am using the 'motif' window system ( runs on X but is not a product yet ).
|Screen looks sort of like the OS/2 presentation manager.

|From: lhf at aries5.uwaterloo.ca (Luiz H. deFigueiredo)
|> Computer Systems Group at the University of Waterloo
|
|We in the Computer Systems Group at the University of Waterloo have been
|using AIX for some time now on a RT.
|Since March, we have also been using AIX on PS2 models 70 and 80 (80386).
|
|In general, it seems really good for version 1.1 (on the PS2's).
|
|AIX seems to be fairly standard System V.3 compatible with several touches
|of 4.3BSD.
|
|There's support for X-windows (X11) but it is not great on the PS2 and we
|do not have graphics on the RT.
|
|Please note that the above is *not* the official position of CSG.
|I just happen to work here...

|From: ames!cs.utexas.edu!uunet.UU.NET!arnor!freimer (Robert Freimer)
|
|Gil, I'm using AIX on PS/2, RT and /* commented */ machines. So far it's
|working fine, I didn't have to reboot it even ONCE. Compare to System V.3?
|Well, it's more reliable (though my SysV.3.2 at home also works fine, but
|after I had really hard time fixing problems with disk bad block handling,
|and I had to end up with another disk drive - it refused to work on that one).
|Features - it definitely has more, because it's SysV.2 compatible, but has a
|lot of BSD goodies (which I appreciate to use). Porting problems - nothing
|special so far. Machines supported - NO ATs, NO AT386's so far, probably
|never. Just PS/2 and RT, but I think you'll get more than just NFS.
|
|	   Uri.

|> gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin
|
|I just installed AIX on a PS/2 model 80.  I believe it will run on any of the
|'386 micro-channel machines.  Since I have JUST installed it, I have only