Sharing an Apple Printer

Richard A. Dramstad rad at mbunix.mitre.org
Sat Jul 8 05:47:31 AEST 1989

In article <741 at hutto.UUCP> henry at hutto.UUCP (Henry Melton) writes:
>I have a Appletalk printer connected to a MicroVaxII via Alisaprint
>and a kinetics box.  This gives good service both as a spooler for the
>Mac users and as a postscript printer for the VMS users.  I now would
>like to add this printing service for a Sun 3 that is connected via
>TCP/IP.  Has anyone done this before?  I have been toying with the idea
>of a unix print task that bundles the file up, ftp's it over to the vax
>where another automatic task is looking to print anything that shows up
>on its doorstep.  This would work, but it seems like there ought to be
>an easier way.  Any suggestions?

	Yes, you could install TOPS on the Sun.  In addition to giving
you TOPS file services for your Macs on the Sun, it allows you to
create line printer (sic) queues that point to your AppleTalk-connected
LaserWriters.  I think you're probably talking about less than $1K to
do this,too.

	Also, because of the Berkeley/Sun remote line printer
capabilities, other Suns or BSD-derivative Unix boxes on your net can
also get to the Mac's laser printers.  I bounce my Ultrix printouts off
a Sun to a laser printer just outside my door -- the same one I use for
my Mac printouts.  I like it a lot.

>Henry Melton ...!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!hutto!henry
>1-512-8463241 Rt.1 Box 274E Hutto,TX 78634

Dick Dramstad