Tape Drive for VAX

J. Eichelberger eichelbe at nadc.arpa
Thu Jul 27 07:25:05 AEST 1989

Does anyone know of a good half-inch 9-track tape drive for a VAX
11/780 running 4.3 BSD UNIX?  The drive must come with a controller to
interface it to the UNIBUS or to the MASSBUS (not both, of course!) and
must be on the GSA schedule.  It must also meet the following:

125 inch per second tape speed at 6250 BPI, start/stop;
tridensity - 6250/1600/800 BPI;
approx. $25,000 price (GSA discounted, if it has one).

If you don't think this is possible, you haven't shopped as much as I
have.  The problem is that I can get all this in a tape drive except
for one thing - they aren't on the GSA schedule.  This is required for
this purchase.

Information on any vendors would be appreciated.  Don't bother to reply
if you're not sure if the drive is on the GSA schedule.

Thank you.

	Jon Eichelberger
	eichelbe at nadc.arpa

P.S. Replies should be directly to me to avoid bothering others with
mail they probably don't care about.  Thanks.