Question about ``find`` commnad

Root Boy Jim rbj at dsys.ncsl.nist.gov
Wed Jul 19 07:33:56 AEST 1989

? From: Jeff Beadles <jeff at quark.wv.tek.com>

? An excerpt from the Utek find(1) man page...

?      -follow type
?                  Always true.  This option determines whether
?                  symbolic links to directories will be followed;
?                  by default, symbolic links to directories are
?                  followed.

?                  The option h type means that symbolic links to
?                  directories are not to be followed (in other
?                  words, follow only ``hard'' links).

? The last paragraph pretty well sums it up.  I just looked at the rlog for
? find.c, and noticed that David installed the modification himself on 4/26/85.

Except that in every other part of the galaxy, they are *not* followed.

I have nothing against nifty vendor extensions. There are many holes
in the utilities. But don't break existing interfaces without thinking!

What's next? A `-h' option to `rm' that tells it to only follow hard
links, following symbolic links by default?

Perhaps Tektronix should just stick to making oscilloscopes.

? 	-Jeff

? Jeff Beadles		Utek Sustaining Engineering, Tektronix Inc.
? jeff at quark.WV.TEK.COM

	Root Boy Jim
	Have GNU, Will Travel.