Is there any wordprocessor in unix

Dick Gill rg at psgdc
Fri Jul 14 08:33:23 AEST 1989

In article <1143 at ssp15.idca.tds.philips.nl> jos at idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) writes:
>In article <228 at psgdc> rg at psgdc.UUCP (Dick Gill) writes:
>
> [text zapped]
>
>>.....  Of course, noone should expect that the Unix
>>implementation will deliver the same responsiveness, color and
>>graphics capabilities as Word Perfect on a PC; maybe in the
>>future, but certainly not now!
>
>Why not? The reason can't be that no fast UNIX workstations
>with enough color-graphics capabilities exist...

The problem in our world is price.  A couple thousand bucks buys
an EGA/VGA PC that offers very snappy response with Word Perfect
along with color and (limited) graphics; a UNIX workstation with
color-graphics is way out of the price range (although
demonstrably superior for more challenging tasks).

>And the reason can't certainly be that MS-DOS is just a better
>OS than UNIX... :-)

Verrrry unlikely!  However, let's give credit where due; PC's
with software like Word Perfect deliver a good product for the
money. For the long run, however, we are banking on UNIX boxes
to provide some intelligent connection point for the
not-so-bright PC's.

>Anyway, WP is one of the first succesfull PC packages that has made
>the step to UNIX. Congratulations. Who follows?

Many good vendors already have or are in the process.  Now if
someone can deliver a high quality color terminal with (some)
graphics at a list price in the hundreds of dollars ....