uudecode - permission denied

Earl H. Kinmonth ked at garnet.berkeley.edu
Thu Jul 6 10:30:12 AEST 1989

In article <1250 at servax0.essex.ac.uk> peter at essex.ac.uk writes:
>Can someone please explain what I/we are doing wrong?
>I find that to get uudecode to work, the file that I expect it
>to create must already exist and have the 020 bit set in its mode.
>Or uudecod states "file: Permission denied"
>
>I think we have a normal issue of SUN-OS 3.4 (I think I've also seen it on
>4.0) - I can not believe that this is correct behaviour.

Whether it is correct or not, that's the way it works on the SUN I use.
Fortunately, the uuencode/uudecode source code is readily available
without this particular "feature" of the SUN implementation.  Get a copy
of the code, compile it, and place it in a directory where it will be
found ahead of the system uuencode/decode.

Earl H. Kinmonth
History Department
University of California, Davis
916-752-1636 (voice, fax [2300-0800 PDT])
916-752-0776 secretary

(bitnet) ehkinmonth at ucdavis.edu
(uucp) ucbvax!ucdavis!ucdked!cck
(telnet or 916-752-7920) cc-dnet.ucdavis.edu [128.120.2.251]
	request ucdked, login as guest,
	no password