uudecode - permission denied

Mike Van Pelt mvp at v7fs1.UUCP
Thu Jul 6 10:31:35 AEST 1989

In article <1250 at servax0.essex.ac.uk> peter at essex.ac.uk writes:
>Can someone please explain what I/we are doing wrong?
>I find that to get uudecode to work, the file that I expect it
>to create must already exist and have the 020 bit set in its mode.
>Or uudecod states "file: Permission denied"

>I think we have a normal issue of SUN-OS 3.4 (I think I've also seen it on
>4.0) - I can not believe that this is correct behaviour.

Believe it.  Uudecode is su uucp, so unless uucp can write to the
destination, you'll get the "permission denied" nastygram.

You and I aren't the only people who consider this to be
egregiously brain-damaged behavior.  That's why I use atob and
btoa whenever possible.  They give a smaller output file
since they use both upper and lower case, and they include a
checksum of the encoded file.

--
Mike Van Pelt                          Here lies a Technophobe,
Headland Technology/Video 7               No whimper, no blast.