IEE488/VME/Unix

Thomas W. Banister twb at tropix.UUCP
Wed Jul 19 23:16:38 AEST 1989

  I have been working on implementing IEEE488 (GPIB) communications on a VME
based computer running Unix SysV. There does not *seem* to be commercially
available boards *and* drivers for this system. I would greatly appreciate
hearing about any successful implementation of IEEE488 communications on a
similiar system.
  I am aware of serial/GPIB converters but really don't like the idea of them.
I'm pretty much a neophyte in the GPIB area but what little I do know tells me
that these converters are of limited use. (Like, how do you sense an SRQ??)
If you have a good opinion of a converter, well, convert me.
  Please do not bother flaming the IEEE488, if it was not neccessary in my
application I would not be using it.

  					Many Thanks,
					Tom Banister
					...!rochester!tropix!coconut!twb