Help with man macros

Rich Patterson rp at osc.COM
Fri Jul 28 07:37:08 AEST 1989

Hi,
	I have a question about the man macros.  The version of nroff and man
macros I have are those that come with System V rel 3.0 for the 386.
	When I nroff a man page, like the ones that come with smail, gcc,
in other words ones that I didn't create,  I get interesting output for the
header:  (Command line: nroff -man pathalias.8 >pa.out; vi pa.out)

	P^HP^HP^HP^HA^HA^HA^H ... so on for the header

	What I assume is that the overstrike or backspacing is being used
for boldfacing.  I'm trying to get nroff not to output those overstrike
characters.  However, when I try the '-u' option for nroff, to set the
"emboldening factor",(the default is zero) it doesn't change the output.
I've also tried different -T output devices, and have compared the
Sys V man macros to Sun man macros (which don't output the overstrike
sequence) to no avail.  Can someone help ???  Any ideas or workarounds
would be great.  Please e-mail to me directly.  Thanks in advance.

Rich P.
{pacbell,amdcad}!osc!rp
osc!rp at pacbell.com	(usually works for internet)