a word-processor for UNIX

Ned Nowotny ned at pebbles.cad.mcc.com
Fri Jul 28 09:09:39 AEST 1989

In article <20387 at adm.BRL.MIL> rbj at dsys.ncsl.nist.gov (Root Boy Jim) writes:
=>? From: Jaap Akkerhuis <jaap+ at andrew.cmu.edu>
=>
=>? Also, the
=>? publisher might not really want to be held responsible for the final
=>? appearance of the publication; it might not be as great as the authors
=>? think it is.
=>
=>Do you think anybody (except insiders) really care who the publisher is?
=>Can you tell the difference between Prentice Hall and Random House? If
=>Addison Wesley produces a dog, do you decide not to buy other books by
=>that publisher, or do you decide based on the author and title.

Well, I have found that all computer related books published by TAB are
worth avoiding.  There is a qualitative difference between the general
offerings of book publishers.  Of course, this is a very coarse-grained
selection criteria.  When looking at books published by Prentice-Hall and
Addison Wesley, for example, you are quite correct that the author and
subject (title) are far more important.

Ned Nowotny, MCC CAD Program, Box 200195, Austin, TX  78720  Ph: (512) 338-3715
ARPA: ned at mcc.com                   UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!ned