Anyway to allow remote Tape access (for backup) without allowing rlogin

mcneill mcneill at eplrx7.UUCP
Sat Jul 22 00:01:29 AEST 1989

We have an exabyte 8mm tape system on a sun 3/160.  We use this machine to
backup all the machines in the building over night.  Some of the machines
are not under my administative control.  I want the untrusted hosts to be
able to use the tape drive but I don't want them to have rlogin access.  My
backup script (running on the tape server) does something like this:

rsh notmine "dump 0uf tapeserver:/dev/nrst9"

This uses rmt which uses /etc/hosts.equiv & /.rhosts for access (which is
what rlogin & rsh use).  Is there another way to allow tape access without
allowing rlogin access?

Keith

--
    Keith D. McNeill              |    E.I. Du Pont de Nemours & Co.
    eplrx7!mcneill at uunet.uu.net   |    Engineering Physics Laboratory