BSD 4.3 Minimal system?

Ken Seefried iii ken at capone.gatech.edu
Sun Jul 23 11:34:05 AEST 1989

In article <4036 at udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU> gdtltr at vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Gary D Duzan) writes:

>   What exactly are the minimal requirements for a BSD 4.3 system? Does it
>need a 32 bit machine? What assumptions does it make about the C compiler
>compiling it? I am not worried about what makes a good or useful BSD system,
>just what is necessary to get it running. Thanx.

Hmmm...depends on your criteria of minimal.  Cost?  Chip count?
Memory?  Disk?  Speed?  I/O?  MMU sophistication?

If you have a good enough team, you can port it to most anything.

For example, most of the functionality of 4.3 has been replicated in
BSD 2.{8,9,10}, which runs on the later DEC PDP-11 machines.  The
PDP-11 is a 16-bit machine with a very primative memory management
scheme (it's still one of the nicer architectures around).

A very sharp team at Rice has ported the bulk of 4.3 to the acursed
Intel 80286, a 16-bit machine with a a perverse memory management
scheme (N.B. lets not wage another war over the 286, its been done far
to many times here.  Save it for alt.computers.religion, which i
mercifully don't get.  Also, don't e-mail me concerning the Rice 4.3
port).

More than 32-bits is not a problem either, as evidenced by the several
ports to 64-bit 'super-{micro,mini}'.

	...ken seefried iii
	   ken at gatech.edu

	ken seefried iii	...!{akgua, allegra, amd, harpo, hplabs,
	ken at gatech.edu		masscomp, rlgvax, sb1, uf-cgrl, unmvax,
	                      ut-ngp, ut-sally}!gatech!ken