VMS vs. UNIX s/w development tools - query

Todd Merriman todd at stiatl.UUCP
Wed Mar 29 22:47:08 AEST 1989

In article <401 at bionov.UUCP> rayl at bionov.UUCP (Ray Lillard) writes:
>I am a software consultant working with a client company with lots
>of code developed for RSX-11.  We are casting about for a new
>system (hardware and software) to replace the existing imbedded
>target system.........

I do cross development between Unix, VMS, and MSDOS; and I have
a few opinions on the subject.  I consider Unix to be a superior
*development* environment, but VMS to be a superior *production*
environment.  The variety of tools and power of the Shell make Unix
an ideal choice for technical types and programmers.  The
sophistication of VMS, combined with its excellent documentation
and reliability make it the clear winner in production.

   ...!gatech!stiatl!todd
   Todd Merriman * 404-377-TOFU * Atlanta, GA
   Note:  I have no idea what my employer's views on the subject are.