VMS vs. UNIX s/w development tools - query

Ray Lillard rayl at bionov.UUCP
Wed Mar 29 15:11:31 AEST 1989

I am a software consultant working with a client company with lots
of code developed for RSX-11.  We are casting about for a new
system (hardware and software) to replace the existing imbedded
target system.  At the same time we are also addressing the
issue of a development system.  My personal favorite is
of course, UNIX.  VMS is the favorite of some permanent staff
members.  I have extolled the virtues of the UNIX software
environment and have been told that VMS has tools which are
equally good. (They haven't been using them and the results
are obvious.)  What I have been shown of VMS doesn't begin
to cover the UNIX tools set.  It seems that the concept of
a regular expression is almost completely missing from VMS.

The question:
	Are tools available under VMS which are as powerful
	as YACC, LEX, AWK, SCCS, grep, make, etc... to name
	a few.

Please email responses to me at this account or post to one
of the newsgroups other than comp.os.vms.  This machine doesn't
carry it.  Also, please be rational, I don't wish to start a
VMS bashing session.  Thanks to all who respond.