UNIX prompts (-ksh)

TAYENGSI%NUSDISCS.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu TAYENGSI%NUSDISCS.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu
Fri Mar 24 06:43:55 AEST 1989

To all prompt enthusiasts,

   I hope this is not too late an entry.

In an earlier article, Brian Fristensky <fristens at ncsugn.ncsu.edu> sez'
>> In MS-DOS there is a very easy way to get the current directory displayed as
>> part of the prompt  (prompt $p).  In UNIX, there is certainly no
>> straightforward way to do this.  Can anyone think of a tricky way?

   Well, for all Korny (bad pun!) users, we have a rather simple solution
   which is to include the following line in your .profile :

          PS1='"$PWD" >'

   Neat huh ? Aliases gave me some problems at first so an
   alternative is to use a shell function like this :

   ncd () { cd $1; PS1='"$PWD" >' ;}

   Anymore suggestions ?

   Note: ncd is derived from chronic over-dependence on
         my PC's Norton Utilities.

Marvin Tay
tayengsi at nusdiscs.bitnet

Disclaimer : I am just an innocent harmless student expressing innocent
             harmless views. HENCE, any views expressed are entirely my
             own and in no way reflect those held by the esteemed
             institution that I belong to.

" .....uucp is unheard of in this region.....and
       Singapore is *NOT* in China..............."