UNIX prompts (-ksh)

Tom Neff tneff at well.UUCP
Sat Mar 25 07:11:52 AEST 1989

Actually not even the classic Korn shell solution of

	export PS1='$PWD> '

seems to work everywhere.  On about half the machines I visit, if you
try this you get a literal prompt of $PWD> -- i.e., the string isn't
interpreted before display.  I have never been too scientific about why
this is, since it's not all that important to me, but I think most of
the trouble has been on BSD implementations of ksh.  Perhaps there's
something in the BSD port that broke this.
--
Tom Neff                  tneff at well.UUCP
                       or tneff at dasys1.UUCP