Socket question

Montana State mtsu at blake.acs.washington.edu
Wed Mar 1 18:37:57 AEST 1989

Hokay, I hope this is a really stupid question...  E-mail responses if this
is too basic...

I have this program I'm writing which is running as a server on our network.

Everything works fine, except when I'm all done, or I get an error
condition, I just want to blow the whole thing away and restart.  What I have
so far is:

  All the socket set up stuff
  execute garbage, return answer
  If error then
    shutdown(socket,(int)2);
    close(socket)

    execve(argv[0],argv,envp);

The execve executes, but the program bombs on the bind() call with
an "address already in use" message.  How do I get this "address"
released so I can restart it.  Or is execve the wrong call??

Jaye Mathisen
icsu6000 at caesar.cs.montana.edu