running VAX-unix binaries under VAX

aglew at mcdurb.Urbana.Gould.COM aglew at mcdurb.Urbana.Gould.COM
Fri Mar 24 12:47:00 AEST 1989

>It is interesting to note that there is a Unix emulator for VMS, but
>there is no VMS emulator for Unix%.  This means one of three things:
>either (a) it is impossible; (b) it is undesirable; or (c) both.

A UNIX emulator can purchase a UNIX licence, and get a variety of
user code, and even a bit of kernel code, useable on the VMS target.

A VMS emulator, on the other hand, would have to start from scratch;
I doubt that DEC would sell the code. I have heard of "VMS compatible"
OSes from small system houses, but they are inevitably underfeatured.

---

I am sure that a number of vendors would not mind having a VMS emulator.
Hell, the ability to almost run VMS FORTRAN (not UNIX F77) has been one of
Convex's big advantages.