running VAX-unix binaries under VAX-vms

Chris Torek chris at mimsy.UUCP
Wed Mar 22 19:46:49 AEST 1989

In article <2990 at epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck at epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>You can obtain a product named Eunice from The Wollongong Group, which
>is precisely a Unix-emulator on top of VMS. ...

It is interesting to note that there is a Unix emulator for VMS, but
there is no VMS emulator for Unix%.  This means one of three things:
either (a) it is impossible; (b) it is undesirable; or (c) both.

-----
% Unless you count the `VMS DCL emulator' that showed up in one of the
trade rags a while ago.  There was a screen printout that showed something
like the following:

	$ DIR/FULL/SHOW=(OWNER,GROUP)/DATE/TIME/PHASE-OF-MOON/RUSHDIE
	%FOO-I-HITHERE, equivalent Unix command is `ls'

followed by a directory listing.  Alas, the equivalent command was
really `ls -l'.