changing line length in nroff

John Mundt john at chinet.chi.il.us
Fri Mar 3 00:33:05 AEST 1989

In article <18493 at adm.BRL.MIL> Leisner.Henr at xerox.com (Marty) writes:
>I want to increase the effective line length to pack more information on a page
>I used a number of variations of the
>.ll +n command
>and nothing seems to have an impact after a
>.PP command.

The PP macro resets line length to a default value unless named register LL is
set.  You need to set it permanently.  Since you are using ms or mm , try
put this up at the top of your file:

.nr LL 120n

or whatever line length you want.  This sets the register so that PP or other
macros won't reset to the default, which is what happens if you put in the
.ll +n command.  Of course, you could hack the macros in the macro package
as well.

--
John Mundt   Teachers' Aide, Inc.  P.O. Box 1666  Highland Park, IL
john at chinet.chi.il.us
(312) 998-5007 (Day voice) || -432-8860 (Answer Mach) && -432-5386 Modem